Whatever curious and interesting subject strikes my fancy, be it silly or serious, gets posted for your reading pleasure.

Tuesday 18 May 2021

Phantom Phan having some Phun ....



For a blog I intended to manage as a somewhat fun project, aka the 'Babble and Blarney' bit of the title, it tends to get more serious posts than I intended, so here is some light entertainment just to break things up a bit.

 If you've noticed one of my books is called 'Phantom Phantasia' then it's no secret I'm a Phantom of the Opera 'Phan'.  

 I've been completely hooked on the story since I first saw the mini-series in 1990 featuring Charles Dance and Teri Polo as the Phantom and Christine.  In fact, I must confess, this story introduced me to many other things from the French opera 'Faust', which then sent me on my 'Faust' book project, to classical music, opera, musicals, you name it, I will confess my 'phan obsession' was a curious blessing hidden behind a mask (please forgive the reference, I couldn't help it.)

 I still love the TV series, and while it is very loosely based on the story by Gaston Leroux, perhaps in some ways its even more poetically romantic and tragic than the original book.  It's the only film version that was shot on location in Paris and at the opera house set in the novel, except for the auditorium scenes which were filmed at the Odéon Theatre.  (One of my pet peeves, but at least it's still Paris, right?)

 The other thing that always irked me about this version is the Phantom plays practically every musical instrument befitting a musical genius, except the one for which he is most famous.  The Debussy-like music soundtrack by John Addison, as beautiful as it is, lacks this instrument.

Then, I watched the epic film 'Fall of the Roman Empire' and had an epiphany moment - what an overture!  Perhaps its my latest project putting a list together of epic films for my previous blog post that's made me reflect on the grand orchestral music of old Hollywood, but lo and behold - the overture to that film was composed using the same folk tunes John Addison incorporated into his soundtrack for the Phantom miniseries.  I couldn't help but wonder what that epic score would sound like when added in ... in fact, curiosity got the better of me, I couldn't rest until I tried it. 

 So, here's my latest little film project I did for some fun as a 'phan tribute' (and also to practice a bit with my annoying glitchy video editor ...) 

(UPDATE May 24: I've just uploaded another little film I did for fun, not fancy or anything, but hopefully interesting, 'The Dies Irae in The Phantom of the Opera' - it's under the first video.)


Hope you enjoy.

 (If video isn't showing below, click here for the You Tube link).

(Click here for the 'Dies Irae' video).




 

 

If  you like my blog, you'll LOVE my books!  Check out my site! (Click here.)

 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment