Whatever curious and interesting subject strikes my fancy, be it silly or serious, gets posted for your reading pleasure.

Wednesday, 2 September 2015

Poor but Blessed ~ An Irish Memory (Author Unknown)

(Post originally published February 8, 2012)

description



We met and we married a long time ago,
We worked for long hours when wages were low,
No TV, no wireless, no bath, times were hard.
Just a cold water tap and a walk in the yard.
No holidays abroad, no carpets on floors.
We had coal on the fire and we didn't lock doors;
Our children arrived, no Pill in those days;
And we brought them up without any state aid.
They were safe going out and played in the park,
And old folk could go for a walk in the dark.
No Valium, no drugs and no LSD.
We cured most of our ills with a good cup of tea.
No vandals, no muggings, there was nothing to rob;
We felt we were rich with a couple of bob.
People were happier in those far off days,
Kinder and caring in so many ways.
Milkmen and paperboy would whistle and sing.
A night at the pictures was our one mad fling.
We all get our share of troubles and strife.
We just have to face it ~ that's the pattern of life.
Now, I'm alone, I look back through the years.
I don't think of the bad times, the troubles and tears.
I remember the blessings: our home and our love,
And that we shared them together, I thank God above.


***
 
If you like my blog, you may LOVE my books!



No comments:

Post a Comment