Whatever curious and interesting subject strikes my fancy, be it silly or serious, gets posted for your reading pleasure.

Wednesday 2 September 2015

Poor but Blessed ~ An Irish Memory (Author Unknown)

(Post originally published February 8, 2012)

description



We met and we married a long time ago,
We worked for long hours when wages were low,
No TV, no wireless, no bath, times were hard.
Just a cold water tap and a walk in the yard.
No holidays abroad, no carpets on floors.
We had coal on the fire and we didn't lock doors;
Our children arrived, no Pill in those days;
And we brought them up without any state aid.
They were safe going out and played in the park,
And old folk could go for a walk in the dark.
No Valium, no drugs and no LSD.
We cured most of our ills with a good cup of tea.
No vandals, no muggings, there was nothing to rob;
We felt we were rich with a couple of bob.
People were happier in those far off days,
Kinder and caring in so many ways.
Milkmen and paperboy would whistle and sing.
A night at the pictures was our one mad fling.
We all get our share of troubles and strife.
We just have to face it ~ that's the pattern of life.
Now, I'm alone, I look back through the years.
I don't think of the bad times, the troubles and tears.
I remember the blessings: our home and our love,
And that we shared them together, I thank God above.


***
 
Like my blog?  You will LOVE my books!



1 comment:

  1. My wife (well, ex-wife I guess, divorced, but no marriage annulment, so I'm not sure what that makes her to me) grew up in a little cottage, no running water other than from the stream, the only fuel peat she had to cut in the bog. By all accounts she grew up in utter poverty, but they wanted for nothing because they had family and Our Lord and Our Lady. This little poem reminded me of how much she sadly thinks Ireland has changed so much even in her lifetime... the last time she visited home (she lives in Canada now) she hardly recognized the place.

    ReplyDelete